Trove Tuesday: Oh No, the Lights Went Out!!

Trove Tuesday: Oh No, the Lights Went Out!!

It’s never fun when the power goes out, though if it’s for a short while you can cope with it, but if it is for an extended period it’s just plain inconvenient! No tv, no computer, no cooked dinner, or even hot water for your coffee. And reading by torchlight or candlelight is just bad for your eyes.

In our day and age we have not known life without electricity, and rightly or wrongly, we simply take it for granted.

While browsing around the newspapers on Trove recently, I had to giggle when I found this article about the power going out, and the inconvenience it caused.

The first electric lights were turned on in Adelaide, South Australia in 1885. And the article below about the lights going out in some suburbs of Adelaide is dated 22 May 1923,  so even in that relatively short period they’d got used to having light at their fingertips …

The Register Newspaper, 22 May 1923

The Register Newspaper, 22 May 1923,
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article64110462 

 

468 ad

2 Responses to “Trove Tuesday: Oh No, the Lights Went Out!!”

  1. They were certainly in the dark – didn’t know what else they were missing out in.

  2. I wonder if there was a baby boom nine months later?
    I remember mum and dad always saying that there would be a baby boom nine months after prolonged power outages – nothing else to do?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.