Posted on 3 April 2015 | 33 comments
doing the dishes was fun, at least at age 2
Like it or not, life today is a whole lot different from when we grew up. And as genealogists and family historians, we are mindful of recording our own history, yet so often it doesn’t happen, and sits in the “I must do that” list.
So this “When I Was Young” geneameme has been created to allow you to record at least some of your childhood memories.This series of 25 questions will take you back to your childhood as it asks questions about the games you played, what school was like, what heirlooms you have from your childhood, what books or stories you remember from back then … and a whole heap more.
So if you’d like to record a little of your own childhood history, feel free to take part in my “When I Was Young” geneameme.
- Do you (or your parents) have any memorabilia from when you were a baby? (ie. baby book, lock of hair, first shoes etc.)
- Do you know if you were named after anyone?
- And do you know of any other names your parents might have named you?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Did your parent/s (or older siblings) read, sing or tell stories to you? Do you remember any of these?
- When you were young, do you remember what it was that you wanted to grow up to be?
- Did you have a favourite teacher at school?
- How did you get to school?
- What games did playtime involve?
- Did you have a cubby house?
- What was something you remember from an early family holiday?
- What is a memory from one of your childhood birthday’s or Christmas?
- What childhood injuries do you remember?
- What was your first pet?
- Did your grandparents, or older relatives tell you stories of “when I was young ..?”
- What was entertainment when you were young?
- Do you remember what it was it like when your family got a new fangled invention? (ie. telephone, TV, VCR, microwave, computer?)
- Did your family have a TV? Was it b&w or colour? And how many channels did you get?
- Did your family move house when you were young? Do you remember it?
- Was your family involved in any natural disasters happening during your childhood (ie.fire, flood, cyclone, earthquake etc)
- Is there any particular music that when you hear it, sparks a childhood memory?
- What is something that an older family member taught you to do?
- What are brands that you remember from when you were a kid?
- Did you used to collect anything? (ie. rocks, shells, stickers … etc.)
- Share your favourite childhood memory.