Posted on 9 January 2013 | 5 comments
When I started this blog (Lonetester HQ), it was simply created so that I can have my own place to share my own genealogy, as opposed to the genealogy blog posts I write for work (Genealogy & History News). So when I received advice from Shauna Hicks (who just happens to be one of Australia’s top genealogy experts) nominating my blog for a “Blog of the Year Award” I was simply blown away.
Shauna writes: “Lone Tester HQ, Alona Tester – for her family history through the alphabet challenge which inspired many to tell their family stories”.
Well, never in a million years (ok, minor exaggeration) did I expect to receive an accolade like that … I’m blushing. But thank you Shauna, I am truly honoured.
The ‘Family History Through the Alphabet’ blog challenge was fun, a little challenging at times (fort some letters anyway) and a whole lot of learning. And it’s exciting to see people still discovering the Challenge even now, and taking it up. Through the challenge I have met a heap of wonderful bloggers from around the world who shared amazing stories about their families, and learnt a lot about different countries.
I’m thankful for Shauna and everyone who reads my blog, for taking the time to do so. And while I always find it fun to write posts, and a bonus to get comments, an award like this is simply the icing on the cake (which by the way has to be chocolate icing … the best icing there is!!). Thank you Shauna for the nomination, it is most appreciated.
I was one of five blogs that Shauna nominated, you can see post with the others here
Nominating blogs for this award is difficult as there are so many fabulous ones out there in the blogisphere. My nominations (in no partiular order) are:
- Geniaus (Jill Ball) – as one of Australia’s leading geneabloggers, Jill keeps readers up to date with everything from events, to book reviews, to letting readers know how she’s going with new genealogy software or a new tech toy. And you can guarantee that there’s always plenty of tips along the way.
- Family History Across the Seas (Pauleen Cass) – Pauleen was a participant in the Family History Through the Alphabet blog challenge, which is what initially took me to her blog. However I found that everytime I went to read her latest Alphabet posts, I kept browsing my way through other fab posts that she had written (really love the Beyond the Internet series too). If you get a chance read her Alphabet posts, they are an amazing collection of ‘genealogists attributes’.
- The Legal Genealogist (Judy G. Russell) – This would be the newest blog that I’m following, having only done so for the past few months. But I have gained a lot from it. Judy is a Certified Genealogist with a law degree, and has a knack for knowing how to discuss legal matters in an easy-to-understand way.
- Clue Wagon (Kerry Scott) – I find Kerry’s blog posts are inspirational. I love her topics, and I love her “writing-as-I-talk” casual manner. They are a pleasure to read.
- Geneabloggers (Thomas MacEntee) – The subtitle on the Geneabloggers website, says ‘the ultimate site or your genealogy blog’. Thomas has created a place for thousands of geneabloggers worldwide, and not only that, his influence throughout the genealogy industry (including social media) has helped probably thousands more.
- British GENES (British Genealogy News and Events) (Chris Paton) – I swear that Chris sits at his computer waiting for news, and has a knack at announcing it to the world 2 minutes later. Seriously he is so up-to-date with news it is good (but also a little scary, but mostly good). So if you want really-really-hot-off-the-press genealogy news, Chris is the guy to follow.
As everyone has said who’s been in this position, it is very tough choosing blogs to list as there are plenty of great blogs out there. Those listed above aren’t all that I read, and just because others didn’t get a mention, doesn’t mean I think less of them. So keep on blogging!
To accept the Award there are some rules:
The ‘rules’ for this award are simple:
1. Select the blog(s) you think deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award.
2. Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award.
4. Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them.
6. As a winner of the award – please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award – and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar … and start collecting stars… For further information on collecting stars, just click on the link provided in Rule 3.